As I was searching for this picture I came across a message board of obviously bored Michigan State Athletic Fans that had nothing else to talk about since it's considered the off season for college teams...one asked
"Does anyone else think McDonald's promotion of its sweet tea is their lamest promo ever. I can understand the hype over their gourmet coffee blends. But tea? Sweet tea? Thanks, anyway but I still prefer a Coke."
Spoken like a true Michigander or is it Michiganian? His highest aspiration is probably to retire "up north" too! For the rest of you who have ever traveled passed the Michigan state line and headed south a bit you've probably experienced Sweet Tea or as southerners call it - Tea.
Sweet Tea is a true statement. It can hurt your teeth sometimes it's so sweet. In some cases the level of sweetness increases the further south you move. McDonald's latest addition to the Michigan market has been a nice walk down memory lane for me...
I'll take you back to a warm August evening in 1988...my parents had just left me alone in Virginia for my new college adventure. It was the very first weekend of college, a Friday night to be exact and classes were to start on Monday.
After dinner we went to DeMoss Hall to hang out and check out all the guys. This is what everyone did. It was a large square area that had a wall around it and a walkway next to it. People would perch on the wall (it was maybe 3 ft high) and others would continually walk around the wall waiting to find a friend, catch up with someone or just see the sights.
Alene (a BFF from HS) and I decided to perch and watch the sights. It didn't take us long at all to realize that there were some of THE most BEAUTIFUL people we had ever seen. Guys and Girls. This was back in the day before the whole grunge look took over. Guys wore nice button down oxfords, khaki's, jeans...girls wore dress pants, nice shirts, hair done, make-up....it was a true fashion spectacular...I wish we had video tape of that night...I'm sure you might have seen drool coming off our lips...we were utterly amazed.
Being the social butterflies we WERE...and feeling totally uninhibited that weekend...we set out to meet anyone that our little heart fancied. After all that's what Freshmen Weekend was all about, making friends and getting to know people. After quite a few hours of socializing and mingling we finally met some upperclassman who had a car and offered to take us down the mountain and into town. We jumped at the chance.
He offered to take us to Hardee's for a Tea. Tea? Sure...why not?!? He then proceeded to tell us the importance of tea to the social scene. Not wanting to be left out of that social scene we wholeheartedly indulged ourselves in what would become an addiction. The Sweet Tea addiction. I don't know about Alene but I still fall prey to the addiction when it's available and it looks like Mickey D's is going to feed my addiction from here on out...
What do you think of McD's sweet tea?

7 comments:
That is so funny! I love sweet tea. Mickey D's is good but do you not have Chick-fil-a in Michigan?? They have the BEST sweet tea ever. MMMMM....maybe I will get some this weekend! :)
We don't have chick-fil-A in MI, but sweet tea is good anywhere. Brian's family drinks iced tea without any sugar at all. I have no idea how they do that - it really isn't tea unless it's sweet! (from a girl born in TX but raised in Michigan...)
I emailed Chik-fil-A over a year ago to see if they had any plans for MI...sadly, no...so we take advantage of it when it's available.
Just moved South. At the welcome gathering at a church we visited we had 2 options for drinks, water, sweet tea, diet sweet tea, and unsweetened tea.
PS We do have Chick-fil-a's here. They have just become a fav spot to take the kids because they have free table toppers for the little ones along with a play area.
Who would have thought there would be so much talk about Sweet Tea! Kristen- I am not sure where you moved to but as an FYI when you go to chick-fil-a if you get a kids meal you can trade the toy in for a free ice-cream if they dont open. We have only taken advantage of that a couple of times but it is nice in the summer time. We actually had chick-fil-a today- we usually visit at least once a week! :)
Oh yes-we are sweet tea lovers here-especially Chick-fil-A which we do happen to have. Of course they originated in GA so they better know sweet tea! McDs is good too-and at $1 here it is the best deal in town!
I LOVE McDonald's sweet tea! Sonic has good sweet tea as well.
Post a Comment