Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Nut Muffins
5 cups ground almonds
½ cup melted butter
1 cup honey
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
5 eggs
*½ cup natural peanut butter
*1 tsp. cinnamon
*½ bag mini chocolate chips
*1/4 c. ground flax seed
*these items are my addition and are approximations.
Oven Temp: 350° 20 minutes (I use a convection oven)
Yields: 24 muffins
Mix all ingredients together, spoon into muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. They brown fairly easily due to the honey, so watch them. They keep forever in a tupperware container.
½ cup melted butter
1 cup honey
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
5 eggs
*½ cup natural peanut butter
*1 tsp. cinnamon
*½ bag mini chocolate chips
*1/4 c. ground flax seed
*these items are my addition and are approximations.
Oven Temp: 350° 20 minutes (I use a convection oven)
Yields: 24 muffins
Mix all ingredients together, spoon into muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. They brown fairly easily due to the honey, so watch them. They keep forever in a tupperware container.
For those of you who might not know the history of these muffins here it is a nutshell. When Tim was diagnosed with Crohn's (before I met him) he did a lot of soul searching and research into what would best help him overcome this disease. In a nutshell he ignored what the doctors told him to do (eat a highly refined diet), trusted in God for healing and began eating fruits, vegetables, legumes and lean meats - the exact opposite of what the docs said. Some people with Crohn's live a horrible life. Tim is a great example of what trusting in God for healing can bring you. Of course with that he took the responsibility of a healthy lifestyle.
This recipe comes from a book titled "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" A book for Intestinal Health through Diet by Elaine Gottschall. These muffins really fill you up and sustain you for a long time - they should since they have 14g of Protein each. I will also add that the last four ingredients are additions to the original recipe and probably are not "legal" on the carbohydrate specific diet (the diet in the book). If you are a person with Crohn's I (and Tim too of course) would highly recommend the book and deleting the three added ingredients until your intestines are well on the road to recovery.
For the rest of you...this is an awesome breakfast and snack. They are full of fiber and really keep you "regular" if you know what I mean. There are a lot of benefits to eating the almonds too.
But "I don't know where to get ground almonds" you might be saying. If you live near a Trader Joe's you can buy Almond Meal there...but what we do is...we buy Almonds in bulk (3 lbs @ Costco), throw them in the food processor and whir them until they are ground up nice and fine. I usually buy 9 pounds at a time and store them in a Rubbermaid container in the basement.
Also, this is a double recipe. For a smaller batch just divide it in half using 2 or 3 eggs depending on the size of your eggs - I prefer my batter to be thick rather than runny.
It takes a bit of initial preparation, but is such a good and healthy food for you and your family. I hope each of you takes the initiative to make them. Please let me know when you do and if you have any questions.
5 comments:
These muffins are gluten-free! I will be trying this soon :)
Trader Joe's also has dairy-free regular Chocolate chips (only 6 more months b/f Joe's comes to my neck of the woods).
What was the name of the Diet/ life style change that Tim also went on?
The one mentioned in the post - it's what the whole book is about. I think it's a type of specific carbohydrate diet..but I could be wrong...The whole book is about changing the bacteria in your instestine. By following the diet you don't give certain bacteria a chance to grow..Tim explains it much better. Does that make any sense?
Thanks for the feedback and the yummy recipe.
Post a Comment