Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Something to Write About

I lay in bed at night when I'm trying to fall asleep and I write these wonderful, wordy and inspiring entries to post and share with you. One night I wrote something about "mean words" another time about being a "Babywise Parent - it works for us - don't make me feel guilty" another time I wrote about "how blessed I am to have Tim in my life"....but, they never make it to this point. Why? Too busy, too scared, too...what? Maybe it's too perfectionistic or maybe too much of procrastinator...it could be a little of everything mentioned every day or any given day.
At almost 38, I often feel like I really know myself. Other days I have no clue who I am or what makes me tick. I praise God each time I understand a little more about myself. We are all complex creatures - it's the very thing that makes us all unique. And better yet makes the world an interesting place to live.
So, on to my point (I've got to work on that issue - getting to the point). Back in January I wrote about my goals for the first quarter of the year and one of the harder goals was introducing the "FLY Lady" system into my home.
Well, I finally got around to it...babysteps, that's what she calls them...and I'm learning a lot about myself. One thing I really like about FLY is that it breaks tasks down in to manageable bits. This is good for me. Sometimes if I look at the whole huge project I get overwhelmed and quit before I even begin.
Today I spent 15 minutes de-cluttering my dining room table. I didn't finish. But according to FLY Lady that's okay. I can work on it again. In the past, I would have felt like a failure and would never work on it again (until my husband threatened to divorce me for a messy table - just kidding) or worse yet, I would have never started at all because I knew I couldn't possibly get everything put away in it's right place in an acceptable amount of time or before I lost interest.
Today I set my timer for 15 minutes and worked as quickly as I could. It felt good. So good, I might even go back for another 15 minutes here in a little while. Wow! At this rate, I can't wait to see what my life looks like by this summer....
So, was there a point to this? I intended there to be...let's see...what was it? Procrastination and Perfectionism. Two things I think I possess...anyone want to disagree? Two, kind of, nasty words. But, they are who I am. I know it. Now, I've identified them and it's my job to overcome them and work them to my advantage. The FLY Lady system is helping me do that.
I love the FLY Lady...where has she been my whole life?
For more info surf on over to www.FLYLady.net

1 comments:

Krysta said...

Hi Cheryl - I am also a procrastinator/perfectionist. If I can't do it perfectly, why do it at all? I'm trying to break myself of this mentality as well. Hope you are having a good week!