Friday, January 09, 2009

Out of the mouth of babes....


Being the mom of two little boys I have learned much more about heavy equipment and trucks than I ever thought possible. In fact, who knew that there were so many diggers, cranes, back hoes, bobcats, buses, dump trucks, garbage trucks, vacuum trucks, and cherry pickers around? I'm sure they've always been there, but I assure I did not know the extent of their existence until the last 18 months or so when Graham started recognizing them ALL OVER the place. Who knew?

One morning this past fall we were driving down the highway not far from the United Parcel Service distribution center in Livonia. It was just a few minutes after nine and apparently the gates had opened and dozens of the big brown trucks were making their way on the numerous overpasses and on ramps to make their deliveries for the day. Graham was on sensory overload noticing all of the big brown boxes EVERYWHERE. "What's that Mommy?" he asked inquisitively. "What? Those brown trucks?" "Yes!" "Those are U-P-S trucks." "Oh, I like them!" That last bit of information didn't surprise me at all. He watched intensely as we passed each one (I promise you there were many to watch that morning!)

A few days passed and I heard his little voice from his car seat say something like..."Look Mommy! It's the babyass truck." .... puzzled and confused and wondering if my ears had heard right. I said, "the what?" just to be sure my ears hadn't decieved me ... "the babyass truck." and he pointed to the big brown box.

I tried not to laugh or draw attention to the three year old interpretation of U-P-S, but couldn't wait to share it with Tim. A couple of days later, we were in the car with Tim and spotted one of the trucks. Graham immediately noticed it and shouted for daddy to "look at the babyass truck!"

Yesterday he spotted another one and mentioned something about all of the babies inside of it...so...I'm not really sure what he understood U-P-S to mean, or where he saw a bunch of babies inside one...but he sure has provided us with a few good laughs. Maybe someday it will all be clear...

Maybe we'll teach Griffin that's it's the "Ups truck" instead and avoid any confusion?!? or maybe not.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for giving me a good laugh-too cute!

Ed and Jamie said...

LOL!!! That is hilarious!! The things they say. That is way to cute.